This year’s Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity brought some 15,000 creative minds from the advertising world to the South of France for a week of self-indulgent celebration and free Rosé, in honor of the past year’s creative work.
Here at DiMassimo Goldstein, however, we view creativity in a different light. We measure our creative ideas not by the number of Lions we bring home, but by our capacity to inspire action. To produce creative work that goes beyond commercial intent, by helping people develop more empowering habits and lead better lives. Creativity, we believe, should be used to make actions rather than award-winning ads. The latter is simply the means to an end.
So while the rest of the industry was toasting to ‘creativity’ on the beaches of Cannes, we held our 2nd Annual Festival de Cans on our very own DiGo beach last Thursday. Just like the other Cannes, but with less emphasis on navel-gazing, and more on helping others less fortunate than us.
Friends, family and acquaintances in New York were invited to bring a can of food to our office, in exchange for a can of beer, wine or soda on us. Not only did we make lasting memories with friends old and new, but we did so for a good cause: 83 cans were donated at the end of the night to St. Francis Food Pantries & Shelters, a local organization that provides food, clothing and shelter to those in need. We even built our own Cannes Lion last year using our collected cans, before donating them to a local food bank.
Ayn Rand has said that, “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” Rather than using our creativity to win awards, we’ll continue to build brands that inspire action and influence positive change in ourselves and others. If you’d like to do the same, we’ll see you at next year’s 3rd Annual Festival de Cans. Who needs bottled Rosé, anyway.
-Chloe Evans, Integrated Marketing Intern
For twenty years, we’ve been happily helping the innovators of the direct economy take business from the old school intermediaries.
For twenty years, we’ve worked side by side with visionaries helping to create the new direct and platform economy you see all around you.
And, for twenty years, if you weren’t one of our clients, other than our creative work, you probably had no idea what we did.
So, for our 20th Anniversary, if you’ve been one of those clients, we thank you. And, if not, we will tell you:
1) We help the client escape the false choice between selling and brand building.
2) We knock down walls to make results the center of the conversation.
3) We deliver more than enough great creative to test and optimize the great strategic thinking we and our clients have.
4) We bring an uncommon clarity to strategic thinking and our inspiring ideas, which shows in our work.
5) We never settle for the better of a few good ideas – we don’t rest until we get to great.
6) We give the client the power to answer back to sub-optimizing stupidity like mixed-up measurement and last-click laziness.
8) We help the client discover the idea that will organize and change everything.
9) We mine that idea to speed growth by up to 10x and more.
10) We use the ten strategies of an inspiring action brand to do all of the above.
This is why we’re on Inc.’s list of the fastest-growing private companies in America year after year. This is why we’ve stayed happily independent, growing with our clients, focused only on building our clients’ brands and businesses. And this is why the next twenty years are going to be even better than the first.
Thanks for being an inspiring part of our world.
-Mark DiMassimo, Chief