For our fourth episode of Season 2 of The A-List Podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann is joined by Chris Beresford-Hill, Chief Creative Officer at TBWA\Chiat\Day New York!
In this special interview, Chris explains his creative process and how it’s changed over the years, reflects on some of the great people he’s worked with and what he’s learned from them, talks about placing brands in modern culture, and much much more. Full episode and show notes below!
- [0:00 – 1:43] Intro
- [1:44 – 8:14] Chris takes us back to his childhood in White Plains, New York, and talks about his Grandma was his best friend growing up.
- [8:15 –12:14] How he got fired from an unpaid marketing internship, a job as a tennis instructor, and a job as a file clerk before eventually getting into advertising.
- [12:15 – 16:50] Interning at Mad Dogs & Englishmen, and the competition he won to get to the role.
- [16:51 – 20:55] Chris reflects on the unique culture at Goodby Silverstein & Partners, and talks about the amazing he experience he had working under Jamie Barrett.
- [20:56 – 24:59] Turning down a master’s degree at the London School of Economics to continue his career in advertising
- [25:00 – 26:55] Going to first shoot in Hollywood as a 21-year old, and what life was like on the road.
- [26:56 – 31:30] Chris shares a funny story behind why he took the job at Goodby
- [31:31 – 42:08] Partnership, why Dan Lucey is his “creative soulmate”, and how working out has helpedwith creativity
- [42: 09 – 44:00] The value of putting your phone away and work offline
- [44:01 – 57:05] His present role at TBWA\Chiat\Day, the agency’s storied history, and placing brands in modern culture
- [57:06 – 59:47] What he looks for in a portfolio
- [59:48 – 1:00:42] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.