The A-List Podcast: Episode 010 With Eric Silver
This week on “The A-List” podcast, host and Chief Creative Officer of DiMassimo Goldstein Tom Christmann chats with award-winning creative genius Eric Silver, McCann’s North American Chief Creative Officer. Since kicking off his career as a copywriter in the 90’s, Eric has left his creative mark on some of the top agencies across the country, working on many of the biggest brands in the world from Nike to ESPN. Recently, Eric brought us the renowned “Fearless Girl” statue that famously stares down Wall Street’s “Charging Bull”.
Tune in to hear Eric discuss his circuitous journey from aspiring attorney to copywriter, the value of attending ad school, and the one piece of advice he gives to new creatives entering the advertising industry today. Full episode and show notes below!
- [0:00 – 1:25] Intro
- [1:26 – 4:34] Eric’s childhood in Orange, CT and sneaking into movie theaters
- [4:35 – 8:25] Attending law school in Los Angeles and realizing that law wasn’t right for him
- [8:26 – 10:20] Considering a future in advertising for the first time after seeing a Nike ad
- [10:21—17:19] Eric’s journey into advertising and why he advises young creatives to attend ad school
- [17:20 – 21:15] Landing a job at Larsen Colby, finding his first partner and building a tribe
- [21:16 – 30:10] David Angelo’s passionate speech at TBWA\Chiat\Day New York and moving to Earl Palmer Brown
- [30:11 — 31:54] Eric and Tom’s advice to young creatives today
- [31:55 – 35:07] Finding his mentors at Wieden & Kennedy
- [35:08 – 44:07] Eric’s first big TV spot: the retail assignment nobody wanted
- [44:08 – 49:15] Leaving advertising for David Letterman
- [49:16 – 56:33] Working at Cliff Freeman & Partners, BBDO and DDB
- [56:34 – 1:02:26] Collaborating with Rob Reilly on “The Fearless Girl”
- [1:02:27 – 1:03:44] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter. If you want to be interviewed for an upcoming episode, contact us at AdhouseNYC.com.