“Before I knew anything about advertising I was trying to find books… business and self-help books to get lost in. I found one that looked pretty easy to read and it had one piece of advice in it… it was the simplest piece of advice you’ll ever get but super important and has led to my career path more than any one sentence in the world.”
In this episode of “The A-List” podcast, host and chief creative officer of DiMassimo Goldstein, Tom Christmann, chats with Greg Hahn, the chief creative officer of BBDO New York, where he helps brands like HBO and FedEx make award-winning work that works. For a little over 40 minutes, the two talk about what it’s like to be a musician, the magic of David Lubars, hacking technology, and the benefits of eavesdropping. Be sure to listen all the way to the end to hear one piece of magic advice that every young creative needs to hear. Check out full episode and show notes below!
- [0:00 – 1:20] Into
- [1:21 – 7:04] Greg’s early life and aspirations
- [7:05 – 11:00] The two different paths in advertising
- [11:01 – 13:33] Being a musician
- [13:34 – 21:24] Attitude and curiosity
- [21:25 – 23:11] The magic of David Lubars
- [23:12 – 29:04] Working with Spike Jonze, the benefits of eavesdropping, and the endless creativity around New York City
- [29:05 – 32:35] How creativity has change, hacking technology
- [32:36 – 35: 13] Luke Sullivan’s “Hey Whipple, Squeeze This” and other must-reads for young creatives
- [35:14 – 36:25] Hahn’s alter ego, Maxcatt
- [36:26 – 38:40] BBDO the global boutique
- [38:41 – 40:55] The most important advice Hahn ever received
- [40:56– 41:37] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter. If you want to be interviewed for an upcoming episode, contact us at AdhouseNYC.com.