In this week’s episode of “The A-List” podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein Chief Creative Officer Tom Christmann chats with the brilliant Kash Sree, Group Creative Director at gyro New York. Kash has worked at many of the top agencies across the world, from SS&K to Perreira & O’Dell, JWT, BBH New York, and Wieden + Kennedy. Working on such global accounts as Vaseline, DeBeers, Axe, Nintendo and Nike, Kash has helped create some of the industry’s most iconic campaigns, including Nike’s “Hackeysack” spot with Tiger Woods. Kash was also the recipient of an Emmy and a Cannes Grand Prix for his inspiring work on two different Nike campaigns in the same year.
Tune in to hear Kash discuss his journey from martial arts teacher to art director to copywriter, what he looks for in creative talent today, and why kindness – to yourself and others – is key. Full episode and show notes below!
- [0:00 – 1:55] Intro
- [1:56 – 7:42] Growing up in East London, eating Kentucky Fried Chicken every day, and trying not to be noticed at school.
- [7:43 – 10:20] Working as a kung fu instructor and trading in martial arts for design school
- [10:21 – 18:19] Beginning his journey into advertising and proving his professor wrong
- [18:20 – 20:52] The importance of research in being a great creative and making a great ad
- [20:53 – 30:05] Getting fired from Ogilvy after 5 months and moving to Singapore
- [30:06 – 34:22] Learning to stand up for his work and switching from art direction to copywriting
- [34:23 – 39:05] Getting a crash course in advertising
- [39:06 – 44:09] Seeking inspiration in culture and applying lessons from martial arts to advertising
- [44:10 – 50:12] “Staying stupid” to avoid bad briefs
- [50:13 – 61:43] Being motivated by fame, getting sued and winning an award
- [61:44 – 69:42] How today’s creatives can impress Kash
- [69:43 – 71:06] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter. If you want to be interviewed for an upcoming episode, contact us at AdhouseNYC.com.