On a very special edition of The A-List Podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann switches seats and becomes the interviewee. Lauren Slaff, founder, president, and director of podcast sponsor Adhouse Advertising School plays the role of host as the two longtime friends talk about conquering fears, the importance of leaving your ego at the door, creating a personal brand, and so much more. Full episode and show notes below!
- [0:00 – 2:30] Into
- [2:31 – 6:32] Growing up in New Jersey, and how his childhood love to draw and write stories was inspired by his father “Mongo”
- [6:34 – 13:32] Tom talks about the benefit of going to college in Manhattan and the difficulty of getting a job in the recession
- [13:33 – 20:11] Getting his first gig at Ogilvy direct, and how young creatives can promote themselves today
- [20:12 – 22:39] Living on his own for the first time in Hoboken and rebuilding his portfolio after two years at Ogilvy
- [22:40 –24:05] The transition from a big direct agency to working at Kirschenbaum
- [24:06 – 31:38] Tom talks about the nerves he first had when meeting Richard Kirschenbaum, why he shaved his mullet, and growing up in the industry
- [31:39 – 36:14] Working at the agency of the future, TBWA/Chiat Day
- [36:15 – 41:40] Tom recalls his time working with people he long admired in Gerry Graf and Eric Silver at BBDO, and the speech that saved him from being fired.
- [41:41 – 48:29] Creating a personal brand and entering into the Freelance world. The importance of personal toughness.
- [48:30 – 50:57] Writing every day, the value of being yourself and getting people to start knowing you for your thinking.
- [50:58 – 53:10] Networking. Getting over social anxiety and conquering fears
- [53:11 – 56:36] Tom gives advice to young creatives and sheds light on an amazing industry
- [56:37 – 57:32] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.