The A-List Podcast with Nick Law
Doing just enough, just isn’t enough
On this week’s episode of The A-List Podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann is joined by Nick Law, previous Chief Creative Officer at Publicis, who made the recent leap to become a Marketing Executive at Apple. Yes, that Apple company.
Nick’s unique integration of design, storytelling, and technology give him a unique perspective in the advertising industry. He observes behavior to create brands and believes big ideas can come after the product’s medium.
Before Publicis, Nick worked at R/GA for 17 years, where he helped expand the company up from 100 to 2,000 employees.
Nick has twice been named in the Creativity 50 list and is a force to learn from. We were very lucky to have him on The A-List Podcast. Make sure you tune in below!
- [0:00 – 2:10] Intro
- [2:11 – 2:20] Growing up in Sydney, the benefits of a “feral” upbringing, avoiding school & enjoying art
- [4:46 – 8:18] Drawing, discovering graphic design, getting into art school
- [8:19 – 11:06] First jobs and how to become a master
- [11:07 – 12:54] Are big ideas that important?
- [12:55 – 15:16] The importance of not taking the first job you land, the difficulty of unlearning bad habits
- [15:17 – 21:58] Taking a gap year, starting at Pentagram and moving in advertising in 1988, moving to New York in 1994, entering the dot com boom and the internet
- [21:58 – 27:40] The “strange delicious isolation” before the internet and the unavoidable future of it
- [27:41 – 42:40] How creatives can use the newest tools and executing ideas at the speed of thought
- [42:40 – 1:05] Observe behavior before building a brand, the power of storytelling, technology connectivity
- [1:06 – 1:03:24] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, an inspiring action agency, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.