The A-List Podcast: Episode 005 with Jill Applebaum
“You get more when you are generous… when you give credit…when you share opportunities and don’t hog the limelight for yourself.”
This week on “The A-list” podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein chief creative officer Tom Christmann is joined by Jill Applebaum, creative strategist at Facebook Creative Shop. Before joining Facebook, Applebaum made a name for herself at several different agencies including DMB&B, Ogilvy & Mather, Young & Rubicam, J. Walter Thompson and DraftFCB, where she was one of the masterminds behind Oreo’s revolutionary “Daily Twist” campaign. That year, she and her creative partner were listed No.7 on Fast Company’s “Most Creative People of 2013”.
In this episode, Jill and Tom talk about the trials and tribulations of becoming a copywriter, surrounding yourself with good people, the current state of women in the industry, and so much more. If you’re interested in learning from one of the best in the business, this episode is for you. Full episode and show notes below!
- [0:00 – 1:30] Intro
- [1:31 – 12:09] Growing up in New Jersey and starting off in the industry
- [12:10 – 14:54] Mentorship and collaboration
- [14:55 – 17:01] Why Jill made the move from DMB&B to Ogilvy & Mather
- [17:02 – 19:07] Y&R and BrandBuzz
- [19:08 – 21:33] The current state of women in the industry
- [21:34 – 23:56] Jill’s favorite brands to work on
- [23:57 – 26:42] The importance of having a strong work ethic
- [26:43 – 31:40] What it means to be a good creative partner
- [31:41 – 34:14] Transitioning from being a creative to being a creative director
- [34:15 – 40:48] The famous “Daily Twist” Oreo campaign
- [40:49 – 43:17] Why Freelancing is against her DNA
- [43:18 – 44:44] The similarities and differences between Facebook and Agencies
- [44:45 – 49:55] Jill’s advice to young creatives
- [49:56 – 51:12] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter. If you want to be interviewed for an upcoming episode, contact us at AdhouseNYC.com.