The A-List Podcast: Episode 014 with Roger Camp
In the latest episode of “The A-List” podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann is joined by the hilarious Roger Camp, Partner and Chief Creative Officer of San Francisco based Camp+King. During his 20+ years in advertising, Camp has been awarded every major creative award under the sun and has worked on some of the world’s biggest brands, such as Amazon, Nike, Virgin Atlantic, Coca-Cola, and Adidas. He’s about as A-list as they come.
Tune in to hear all about how Camp likes to get naked with his dad, the three-fail rule, how to make brands and businesses conversation worthy, and much much more. Full episode and show notes below!
- [0:00 – 1:36] Intro
- [1:37 – 7:08] Roger talks about growing up in Jersey, getting naked with his salt of the earth father, and his childhood aspirations of becoming an artist
- [7:09 – 10:24] Attending SVA and falling in love with advertising
- [10:25 – 19:30] The importance of being able to make mistakes, Roger’s first ads, and working on Comedy Central
- [19:31 – 22:48] Heroes in the industry, getting fired, and the power of remaining optimistic
- [22:49 – 27:53] Roger discusses his short stint at BBDO and finally getting a gig at Cliff Freeman & Partners
- [27:54 – 31:28] The culture at Camp + King and the importance of working with people you like
- [31:29 – 35:54] The importance of a brand voice and more advice for young writers
- [35:55 – 37:44] Brand behaviors
- [37:45 – 41:59] Cliff Freeman’s “Cliffisms”
- [42:00 – 49:00] Working at Wieden+Kennedy, the actors strike, and the value of a planner
- [49:01 – 51:49] The Camp+King positioning and being conversation worthy
- [51:50 – 52:41] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.