The A-List Podcast: Episode 20 with David Baldwin
On the latest installment of The A-List Podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann is joined by David Baldwin, the founder and CEO of Baldwin&, an ad agency based in Raleigh, North Carolina, that was named Small Agency of the Year twice in its first five years. Baldwin is also the former chairman of the One Club in NYC and was an executive producer for the Emmy Award-winning film Art & Copy.
His advertising has been recognized by The One Show, Cannes, D&D, the Clios, the Effies, the Andy Awards, and more.
Tune in as Baldwin and Christmann share stories from working under some of Advertising’s most famous superheroes, talk about the challenges facing the industry today, offer sound advice to young creatives, and much more. Episode and show notes below!
- [0:00 – 2:22] Intro
- [2:23 – 5:49] Growing up in a little West Texas town and being in advertising since age 12
- [5:50 – 10:39] Superheroes of the industry, being interviewed by Gary Goldsmith, and living on floors in Manhattan
- [10:40 – 15:00] The importance of humility and Baldwin’s transformative educational experience at the University of Texas
- [15:01 – 16:44] Baldwin talks about getting hired by McCaffrey McCall and his first assignment as a copywriter
- [16:45 – 18:15] Baldwin shares stories about his first partner, Steve Rutter
- [18:16 – 24:40] The story behind the Emmy Award-winning film Art & Copy
- [24:41 – 28:19] Working under Jerry Della Femina at Della Femina Travisano & Partners and the influential book From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor
- [28:20 – 32:15] Moving from NYC to Portland to work for Cole & Weber and how it was a defining moment for his career
- [32:16 – 34:40] The existential conversation that led to Baldwin starting his own agency
- [34:41 – 36:49] Baldwin&’s ethos, being benevolently selfish, and living your point of view
- [36:50 – 39:02] The criticized McDonald’s Women’s Day stunt and why he loves working for companies that create positive impact in the world
- [39:03 – 42:30] The Polaris Duel Campaign he spearheaded at McKinney
- [42:31 – 44:13] Baldwin discusses his writing process
- [44:14 – 46:15] Facebook’s recent scandal, how the industry is changing, and the pros and cons of being an independent agency
- [46:16 – 50:27] Creating his own brand, Ponysaurus Brewing Company
- [50:28 – 53:25] Baldwin talks about why he started his agency in North Carolina and why young people should look for a boss to work for, not just a company
- [53:26 – 56:54] How Baldwin is building more doors into his agency, being committed to creativity, and what he’s excited for moving forward
- [56:55 – 58:00] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.