The A-List Podcast with Franklin Tipton and Libby Brockhoff
(Photo from Ad Age)
This week on “The A-List Podcast”, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann is joined by the inspiring duo of Libby Brockhoff and Franklin Tipton.
In 2011, Libby cofounded Odysseus Arms, where she currently serves as the CEO, with Tipton as an agency partner and Head of Copy. Odysseus Arms is a San Francisco-based independent and modern agency that is well known for its unique strategic and creative approach “ThirdeyeTM,” which they dive into in the episode. In 2014, Odysseus Arms was recognized as an Ad Age “Agency of the Year.”
In this informative and inspiring discussion, Franklin and Libby tell stories from their undergraduate days at the University of Delaware; talk about the brand planning revolution and the importance of consumer insights; share what it was like working in London (where Libby launched the agency, Mother, at age 27); and explain what they look for when viewing a portfolio. Tune in below!
- [0:00 – 1:51] Intro
- [1:52 – 12:00] Franklin and Libby talk about their childhood, how boredom can contribute to creativity, and the rigorous visual communications program they both studied in at the University of Delaware
- [12:01 – 18:47] The two tell tales of the program’s teacher, Ray Nichols, and how they benefited from his culture of fearlessness
- [18:48 – 26:55] Franklin talks about working for JWT in his first year out of college, the importance of having a strong portfolio, and the value of solving problems visually
- [26:56 – 29:39] Franklin tells the story of how Libby ushered the University of Delaware program they’d both graduated from into the modern age
- [29:40 – 37:40] Libby talks about her first years after graduation, the unique culture at Chiat Day, and the brand planning revolution, and why Wayne Gretzky is her spirit animal
- [37:41 – 45:40] Moving to London, zigging when others zag, and stories of the legendary Dave Trott
- [45:41 – 50:03] How Libby launched Mother in London, the importance of wearing different hats, T-shaped people, and how she landed on the name Mother
- [50:04 – 1:04:50] The two talk about coming back from London and launching Odysseus Arms, explain their unique “third-eye” approach, and chat about the value of consumer insights and planning
- [1:04:51 – 1:08:55] Learn how you can get in touch with Franklin and Libby, and why it’s essential to get out of your comfort zone
- [1:08:56 – 1:09:51] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, an inspiring action agency, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.