The A-List Podcast with Karl Lieberman
I don’t always launch campaigns that generate thousands of memes for years to come, but when I do, it’s awesome. Remember Dos Equis’s The Most Interesting Man in the World campaign? Of course you do. Well, that was Karl. He co-created that iconic campaign and many more.
Raised in New Jersey by an artist mother and a doctor father, Karl’s creativity and ambition was nurtured early on. However, it wasn’t until visiting his sister at work at her digital marketing office in D.C, did he learn about the world of advertising.
After studying fine arts at the University of Delaware, Karl got an internship at Mother London, where he learned his portfolio sucked, got an art partner, and learned to write from an honest place.
Karl has worked at several big-name agencies including Gyro, Mother, and Wieden + Kennedy, where he’s helped create famous work for huge clients, including Bud Light, Dos Equis, ESPN, Yoplait, Velveeta and more.
During the interview, Karl offers insights about coming of age in the business, being true to himself, and making it big. Listen in for the whole scoop
- [0:00 – 2:55] Intro
- [2:56 – 7:42] Having an artistic childhood in New Jersey with a painter mother and a doctor father
- [7:43 – 13:00] Exposure to the advertising world, learning jobs don’t have to stuck, pursuing art at The University of Delaware
- [14:30 – 25:29] Interning at Mother London, getting a portfolio invention, partnering with art director Brandon Henderson and landing first jobs
- [25:29 – 30:05] Working with hero Jeff Kling (Miller High Life) in the creative department, writing a basketball blog, connecting the dots between writing and writing ads
- [30:05 – 37:35] Writing Dos Equis’s The Most Interesting Man in the World campaign
- [38:40 – 39:57] Working harder post Dos Equi’s campaign
- [39:58 – 52:40] From Gyro to Mother then eventually Wieden + Kennedy, and the importance of briefs
- [39:58 – 55:45] Defining “good ideas,” the future of advertising, and the power of the internet
- [55:45 – 59:16] Droga5 Superbowl spots Walking Dead and Game of Thrones
- [59:16 – 1:00:38] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, an inspiring action agency, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.