The A-List Podcast with Evelyn Neill
This week on “The A-List Podcast,” host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann interviews Evelyn Neill, Executive Creative Director at TBWA\Chiat\Day in New York. With over two decades of experience creating award-winning work for some of the industry’s most renowned agencies, Neill is about as “A-List” as it gets. She has led creative for many of the world’s biggest brands, including Nike, Microsoft, and Coca-Cola, among others.
Prior to joining TBWA\Chiat\Day, Neill spent the bulk of her career at Wieden & Kennedy, where she was one of six people who were handpicked to help launch the agency’s Amsterdam office.
In this inspiring interview, Neill talks about her life before advertising, what she learned working under Dan Wieden, why a true partnership isn’t about roles, and the importance of being astoundingly courageous. Tune in below!
- [0:00 – 1:48] Intro
- [1:49 – 8:10] Growing up in Birmingham, Alabama and how she was first introduced to advertising
- [8:11 – 13:13] Neill reflects on her first days in the industry and tells the story of how she got an offer to move to Portland, Oregon to work for Wieden & Kennedy
- [13:14 – 21:28] Why she considers herself so lucky to be in advertising, how to achieve your goals, and why hierarchy isn’t a pain when used right
- [21:29 – 26:40] Why true partnership is not about roles
- [26:41 – 33:30] The secret to not getting pigeon-holed creatively, and the importance of being astoundingly courageous
- [33:31 – 40:50] Launching Wieden & Kennedy in Amsterdam, and how the work there differed from the work in Portland
- [40:51 – 49:00] What she learned from co-founding her own business, The Sanibel Sea School, and how it helped her become better at advertising
- [49:01 – 54:38] Why she’s so excited for the future at TBWA\Chiat\Day, and advice to young creatives
- [54:39 – 56:02] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, an inspiring action agency, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.