The A-List Podcast with Gerard Caputo
On this week’s episode of The A-List Podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO, Tom Christmann is joined by Gerard Caputo. A celebrated creative with a career spanning more than two decades, Gerard Caputo is the Chief Creative Officer of BBH New York and an instructor at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn as well as being a notable name in advertising. Mr. Caputo has received a number of industry accolades including an Emmy award an ANDY, recognition at the Cannes Grand Prix and more!
After graduating from Boston University in 1996, Mr. Caputo began his career at Boston-based Mullen (now MullenLowe) and worked at a number of the industry’s top agencies such as BBDO and Ogilvy as a creative director before arriving at BBH, where he has assumed his current post for nearly 6 years.
Check out the latest episode of The A-List podcast here!:
- [0:00-2:06] Intro.
- [3:01-7:55] Growing up in Little Falls, New Jersey.
- [10:52-14:00] Discovering photography in school and creative writing.
- [14:01- 18:35] Transitioning to advertising and becoming an intern at Mullen.
- [20:17-26:36] Building his book, ‘finding the fire’, and becoming an art director.
- [28:12-31:30] Emerging as a creative and moving on to Fallon, in Minneapolis.
- [32:18-34:01] Tips for young people who relocate to new cities.
- [34:30- 38:20] Being stubborn and pushing to make great ads.
- [40:14-44:00] On the rise of digital storytelling.
- [45:00-50:33] Leaving Fallon for BBDO and meeting Tom!
- [54:24 -1:00:23] Leaving BBDO and evading complacency.
- [1:01:12- 1:06:55] Moving to BBH and the challenges of being a senior level creative.
- [1:07:00-1:10:30] Outro.
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, an inspiring action agency, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter