The A-List Podcast with Ricardo Casal & Juan Javier Pena
On this week’s episode of The A-List Podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann is joined by Ricardo Casal and Juan Javier Pena, Creative Directors at DAVID The Agency, an agency founded in Buenos Aires that exemplifies the “always on” approach to advertising.
Ricardo and Juan’s professional experience together began in Ecuador with their joined college projects jumpstarting their career and leading them to internships and ultimately to becoming, now, creative directors for an internationally renowned agency.
In this episode, they share the story of their undeniable interest in advertising, their thoughts on culture hacking, what attracted them about working at David, and much more. Take a page out of their book by listening below!
- [0:00 – 2:20] Intro
- [2:28 – 11:25] Attending college together in Ecuador and meeting through working on ideas and submissions for student award shows, winning scholarships to an advertising school in Buenos Aires
- [11:30 – 16:11] Creating a brotherhood through a shared love for advertising and utilizing advertising award winners as a way to learn, study, and gain inspiration
- [16:40 – 23:30] Interning at TWBA in Argentina right out of college, Flying to the U.S to interview with David the Agency, Why they believe David is different and stands out from the rest and what they enjoy about working there
- [24:45 – 32:26] Learning their thoughts on the phrase “If you own data, you own the world” and their interpretation of the “data takeover” happening in the industry right now
- [32:30 – 40:50] How they capitalize on “Culture-Hacking” at David and what their strategy is in doing so, Their controversial and impressive MACMA Man Boob campaign for breast cancer
- [40:54 – 43:26] What makes the Burger King account so special to them and the importance of building client trust and relationships while also sharing the same visions and ambitions
- [43:27 – 45:40] Taking a guess on where they would be if they weren’t in advertising
- [46:00 – 51:37] The importance of gaining fresh perspectives in order to be inspired and to inspire others. How to keep faith in what can be a cynical industry at times
- [52:50 – 54:45] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, an inspiring action agency, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.