The A-List Podcast with Steve Sandstrom
On this week’s episode of The A-List Podcast, host and DiMassimo Goldstein CCO Tom Christmann is joined by Steve Sandstrom, the Executive Creative Director of the Portland-based, strategy and design firm, Sandstrom Partners and a board member of the One Club for Creativity.
We are grateful to have Steve with us this season.
Steve is also one of the founding minds behind Tazo, a tea company that challenged consumer perceptions and spawned a litany of brands in its wake. Steve’s work with Tazo resulted in a number of accolades and recognition in major competitions for over a decade.
Steve has been instrumental in launching some of the most iconic brands of this decade and revitalizing many well known brands, most notably having worked on Converse, Nike, Coca-Cola, Miller Brewing, ESPN, Jordan, adidas, Levi Strauss, and more.
In this interview, Steve shares a bit with us about his journey, his upbringing in Portland, and the stories behind some of his most famous designs.
Tune in now to this episode of the A-List Podcast!
- [0:00-2:33] – Intro
- [2:34 – 7:40] How to pronounce ‘Oregon’ and Steve’s upbringing in Portland.
- [7:41- 9:52] Steve’s early inspirations and first exposure to art through his family.
- [9:52- 14:17] Learning design fundamentals in school and discovering graphic design in college.
- [14:18 – 17:33] Steve’s first design job as an illustrator and standing out in class.
- [17:34 – 21:00] for the love of drawing.
- [21:01 – 26:50] University of Oregon and developing a unique style at the Daily Emerald.
- [26:51 – 30:17] Deciding on commercial art and getting notable exposure for designing.
- [30:18 – 34:15] Starting a design career in advertising and advice to young artists
- [34:16 – 37:10] Turning a local radio station into a design opportunity.
- [37:11 – 46:33] Being picked up by Nike and working as a creative director.
- [46:34: 53:59] Starting Sandstrom Partners and discovering a design niche
- [54:00 – 1:03:40] Problem solving and favorite challenging projects
- [1:05:55 – 1:07:22] Outro
“The A-List” is a podcast produced by DiMassimo Goldstein, an inspiring action agency, recorded at the Gramercy Post, and sponsored by the Adhouse Advertising School, New York’s newest, smallest, and hippest ad school. You can subscribe and rate the show on iTunes or listen along on SoundCloud. For updates on upcoming episodes and guests, be sure to like the A-List Podcast on Facebook and follow host Tom Christmann on Twitter.