1. Boston Police Schooled Us All on Social Media
1. Take a Bike Ride Through NYC Without Leaving Your Couch
1. SEC Says It Is Ok For Companies to Make Announcements Via Social Media
(Based on Netflix investigation into CEO Reed Hastings post on his personal Facebook that resulted in a rise in stock price)
1. Can Content Marketing Save Journalism?
1. Pinterest Introduces Analytics
1. 66.5 Million Facebook Interactions Occurred During the Oscars
1. Campaign Highlight: Leading up to The Walking Dead premiere, Toronto agency Leo Burnett set up eight foot tall “walker hands” in the middle of Union Station. Each day a decaying finger was knocked off counting down to the season premiere. Commuters could take pictures with the hands, tweet #TWDFeb10, and be entered to win one of the gross zombie fingers. They also had chained “walkers” attached to the countdown clock with giveaway tshirts ALMOST within arms reach. Read the full story here: Walking Dead’s Gruesome Countdown
2. Burger King’s Twitter account was hacked on Monday with the name and avatar replaced with McDonald’s. While the situation seems terrifying for any brand team/agency, the account also gained 5,000 new followers in 30 minutes and generated a ton of buzz: reactions to Burger King Twitter Hack. While not all mentions were positive about BK, there are some speculating that this could wind up helping Burger King more in the end. What do you think?
1. Campaign Highlight: Herbal Essences “First Time”
P&G’s Herbal Essences line went through a makeover back in 2006 in an effort to reach a younger demographic. After a few years of declining sales, they are getting back to the basics by releasing 2 of their classic products back into the market. To support the launch they served as an official Grammys sponsor and premiered a new tv spot (starring their celebrity brand ambassador Nicole Scherzinger) last night that is a modern take on their classic “yes, yes, yes” airplane ad: New Ad and Original Ad
They are also engaging social activity by asking users to talk about their #firsttime using Herbal Essences and aggregating the content on their website. It will be interesting to see how the classic products perform this go around!